Monday, January 31, 2011

The Daily Dose of España: Classes in Foreign Lands

FIRST EVEER Daily Dose of España! What it is...I'll post something random about living in Spain/Europe so you can all get some insight into what life is like here as a pseudo Barcelona resident. These are the little things that are building this entire experience to be one that allows me to reflect upon the little things we do on a daily basis that make our day as grand as we intend it to be. These little occurrences or sights have led me to appreciate moments we might skip out on at home, others allow me to appreciate home a lot more, and other just let me see life in a new light and they help me learn something new about myself and the world around me. That's what this whole experience is about anyway, right?

Now...let's be real, I probably won't write one everyday, but I liked the name...so it's sticking :) I'll do my best to update these...

Here's todays!

One of the classes I'm taking is International Strategic Management. Even though everything we are seeing in the class I've kind of seen before in another Mgmt class, its a completely new class...and I'll tell you why. It's not from the US perspective. I think this factor is what makes learning in a new country so awesome! Not because the US view is right or wrong, but because we are never allowed the opprotunity to see things from these different angles.

In today's class we did a case study on EuroDisney and why it initially failed miserably. My prof, who knows his stuff and has an awesome British accent, was pretty much ripping on the US the entire time. The cool thing about it was that he invited all of us students from the US to share our viewpoint and debate his arguments. Some that he pointed out...were incredibly true...and I never would have seen it from that viewpoint had it not been for the opportunity to sit in a class that is outside of our academic comfort zone. AKA I'm learning and expanding my horizons! And...hopefully the insight we shared will help them expand theirs as well.

Tonight's class made me realize how much I'm starting to appreciate this whole experience on an academic level. Didn't know exactly what to expect coming in, but I like.

Kudos to global business and its mission to make us all a little more open minded.

No comments:

Post a Comment