Sunday, February 6, 2011

Daily Dose of España...shows how little I know about world history...

This weekend we went on a program trip to Sevilla and Córdoba...more on that tmrw probably. But here's my daily dose for the weekend. I now realize how little knowledge I have in the arena of world history. Time to hit the books.


We had guides for both days...and here's a fact that I learned and had no idea about.


Andalusia (souther Spain) was invaded by the Muslims in the Middle Ages and therefore has a very heavy Muslim influence in some of the architecture that remains and in some cultural practices. 


Here's my juicy I'd like to share....some of you might know this, but pretend its a great educational discovery on my part ;)


Over 3,000 words in the Spanish language are founded on Arabic...for example, most words beginning with al- are based on Arabic.


Alfombra, almacén, etc...


I looked it up afterwards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_influence_on_the_Spanish_language


My new POA (plan of action) is to learn a lot of random facts and become a walking encyclopedia. 


Here's another: 1,000 yrs ago, Córdoba, which now has about 300,000 inhabitants, was the largest city in Europe...



No comments:

Post a Comment