Thursday, February 17, 2011

Tour de España

Quick little recap on what I have been up to for the last two weekends:

Weekend in Sevilla & Cordoba: our program took us to Sevilla, which is in Andalucia, which is southern Spain. The two cities were beautiful, meshing historic Arab influence in the infrastructure with the Spanish culture we see there today. Our program provided us with guides for the cathedrals and Jewish quarters in both cities. We also got to see a flamenco show...and let me tell you...there are no words to describe it. It was amazing-the passion and flow of the movement had us all mesmerized. I had some bomb paella & tapas and we had a blast exploring the night life in Sevilla. For all of you that eventually visit Spain: Sevilla is a must :)

Weekend in Madrid & Toledo: Last weekend, I went to Madrid with, the one and only Mel Zoerb, and spend the day/night with my friend Abby that lives in Madrid. Abby showed us around town and took us to an awesome club where we danced the night away. Bonus: they were playing music in Spanish! Just my style. Because we left for Toledo the next day, we didn't get to see much of Madrid...but we did get to see Retiro Park where we met people studying in Ireland and hung out with them as we took in the sun and watched the mass of row boats on the lake. Beautiful day! Mel and I headed to Toledo, via autobus, and met up with my friends that are studying abroad there. The rest of the stay in Toledo was amazing, its an incredibly beautiful little city with a medieval vibe that travels through the streets. Mel left Saturday, and I spontaneously decided to stay that night and leave Sunday.

My trek home was a littttle interesting...so I apparently have a little problem with abstaining from shopping, especially when I see sales (which last like two months in Spain...you can imagine why this is a problem now?). I couldn't help myself, and I bought a couple shirts on super sale and a pair of shoes. The problemo with this? You can only bring one bag (I brought my school backpack) and I arrived with it full. Oh, forgot to mention, that I randomly decided to buy a huge ceramic plate. Couldn't help myself. Sooo, Saturday night I realize I have nowhere to put all this stuff. My options were leave the plate and stuff I bought or....

layer.

So I wore like 6 shirts, leggings and jeans, a jacket, hat and scarf. Needless to say, I was roasting. My trek home was quite long, just to add to the adventure. I took a taxi to the Toledo bus station, then took the bus to Madrid (about an hourish), then flew to Girona, then took another bus to Barcelona, then walked home.

Well, at least I got my plate home :)

 Exhibit A
 Sevilla view from the bell tower

Toledo with my girls!

2 Euro 'verano tinto' (yummy wine) with free plate of tapas! Spain treats us foodies well :)

 Madrid: Retiro Park with Mel!

 Sevilla palace...really its Spain!

The bell tower...the only piece of the former mosque that they kept when they tore down the mosque to build the cathedral (Muslims were here for a period of time)

No comments:

Post a Comment